1. How fast is Hutch 3G broadband?
- Our network is 21Mbps ready. However, actual bandwidth may vary due to factors such as Network coverage, Modem used etc.
2. Is the bandwidth guaranteed?
- No, the actual bandwidth will depend on several factors—the most important being the coverage in your area, the distance to the network antenna, the building you are in, and the number of people nearby using the service at the same time.
3. How is Hutch 3G Mobile Broadband different?
- Hutch 3G has faster, higher quality and coverage. It has the largest 3G network. We also offer you greater bandwidth. Our network is 2x faster for downloads (7Mbps vs. 3.6 Mbps) and 14x faster for uploads (5Mbps vs. 0.4Mbps) so you can send your emails with attachments much faster.
4. Do I need to change the SIM Card for 3G broadband?
- No, you just need to have a 3G device. You will be automatically be upgraded to the 3G bandwidth.
5. How else can I get 3G broadband?
- You can buy 3G dongles /laptops featuring built-in 3G broadband capability from PC manufacturers. You will just need to insert the SIM Card on the appropriate slot in your PC. Several of the new models already come with 3G internet.
6. I already have a USB modem from other operator. Can I use a Hutch 3G SIM Card inside?
- Yes, whether you have a dongle/modem bought in Sri Lanka or outside, you can use the Hutch 3G SIM Card inside as long the modem is not locked
7. What are the costs if I go out of bundle/beyond my allowance?
- You start paying the out of bundle prices of your chosen plan.
8. What is a dongle?
- A dongle is small USB stick that is actually a modem that connects to the internet on-the-go.
9. Do I need to sign up for data plan if I have a SIM card?
- No, you can already start using the services. To subscribe to any plan, just call our Customer care, visit one of our Hutch shops or send an SMS to writing the name of the plan you want.
10. How long does it take to start using?
- The modem installation takes around 5 minutes and it is done automatically.
11. Can I make calls and use my phone as a modem at the same time?
- Yes, you can call and use your phone as a modem at the same time.
12. Where can I purchase the modem?
- You can buy it from any Hutch shop across the country. Visit us on www.hutch.lk for all shop locations. You can also buy only our SIM Card and use it inside any modem that is not locked.
13. Can I return it if I don’t have coverage?
- No, dongles cannot be returned; however you can unsubscribe from the data plan. But it is highly unlikely that you will not be able to access the internet because Hutch 3G offers superior connectivity and higher coverage penetration.
14. Can I use it on more than one computer?
- Yes. The dongle is a plug and play device, so simply plug the device into another laptop, install the software and you’re good to go!
15. Can I use it on any laptop/personal computer?
- You can use your dongle in most PCs, laptops and Apple Macs. Each dongle may vary slightly depending upon the Operating System you use on your computer (e.g., Microsoft Windows). To ensure your PC, laptop or Mac is supported; please check the system requirements of the device.
16. FUP related to traffic shaping?
- Hutch currently does not apply any Fair Usage policies to any of its customers.
17. Difference between offered theoretical bandwidth and the actual data transfer bandwidth?
- - Theoretical – Upload/Download Bandwidth
- - HSDPA : 7.2Mbps(DL)
- - HSUPA : 5.76Mbps(UL)
Difference between theoretical bandwidth and data transfer bandwidth could differ due to below
- - Terminal – capacity of the HSPA modem used and hardware capabilities of the computer
- - Coverage – depending on the type of network coverage available at the time of accessing the internet
- - Loading – Amount of traffic handled by the base station at a given time
- - Internet site
- - Average bandwidth a user experiences between 3 – 4Mbps
18. What is the Warranty period for a Hutch USB Modem?
- The warranty period extends to 12 months from the date of purchase for a Hutch USB Modem
upon Proof of invoice.
Hutch manual settings
- Access point (APN)/homepage - Hutch3g - IP address - 10.220.135.249 - Port number - 8080 - Dial up number - *99# - User name - blank - Password - blank